Sunday, December 4, 2016

Thai Impressions

Thai Impressions  November 30, 2016

Jesse: What a ripe harvest for the gospel! I was humbled, amazed and greatly encouraged by the many ways God used my team and I through teaching English at Santisuk English school. Many Thai people are open to hearing and learning about Jesus. My vision of missions was renewed after my experience in Thailand!

Heidi: I was very nervous about teaching English. I only had experience of teaching English to young children. But as soon as I got the hang of it, I began to smile more, talk more, enjoy teaching and spending time with them outside of class. Many of my students were very interested about Jesus, and I am glad that I could share the Gospel to them through teaching and spending time together.

Sarah: The people in Thailand were so welcoming and full of love.  Buddhism is the main religion and at times it was hard to share the gospel. But there are many people who are hungry to know more about Jesus and it was so exciting to share Gods love with them.

Bria: The Thai people were friendly and hospitable. I met people at the church and school
who immediately made me feel welcomed.

Lizeth: The beauty of the culture was shown through the love that Thai people gave to us foreigners. Having many doors open to share God’s word to the students was amazing. Any nervous feeling of teaching a class was blown away once a relationship was built. Soon any  worries were quickly diminished.

Holly: I loved being immersed in the Thai culture for a month. It was such a blessing to teach English to students who were hungry to learn and build relationships. It was joy to get in on what God is doing in Thailand and partner with the missionaries serving at Santisuk. Sharing about the Lord at different times was super exciting as well!

Kaelly: Thailand was a great experience because I found it easy to connect with the people of the friendly culture. The ease of learning the culture helped minimize the barriers of sharing about Jesus. I’m very sad to be leaving my students, but also ready to move on.

Rebekka: Being in Thailand has been such a blessing. I have enjoyed teaching English and building relationships with my students and members of the church. The textbook for teaching is uniquely designed to include various Bible stories, which is a great asset in sharing the Gospel. After reading the first story about Jesus healing a lame man, I asked the class if they had heard of Jesus before. Only one or two of the eleven students had heard about Jesus before! I was amazed at the spiritual need in Thailand. Santisuk is a special place and an effective ministry where Jesus’ name is openly proclaimed in and out of the classroom every day!

Amber: Living in Thailand and teaching here was such a life-changing experience. My students all believe that to be Thai is to be Buddhist, but it was so amazing to see their hunger for truth. As I shared Bible stories with them and told them what Jesus has done in my life, they asked questions that the Holy Spirit had clearly laid on their heart. It was hard to leave after building relationships, but I am trusting God that “He who began a good work will bring it to completion.”

Ali: As an English teacher, I’ve rediscovered the value and weight of words, even through—or maybe especially—the broken English and flawed communication. I love the little moments, like when a well-meaning student takes her leave with, “See you tomorrow, hot teacher!” My favorite encounter with words was the last day after a student asked me why I love Thailand. After I’d explained that I’m grateful to show love to others because of how Jesus loved me, she said thoughtfully, “Teacher, I think you very, very love Jesus.” God is gracious to affirm the way He is moving in the hearts of my students and friends.

Bri: Throughout my month in Thailand, I got to know a few of my students exceptionally well. Chon and Meen asked me on the first day of class, and when I told them that I wanted to experience and learn Thai culture, they were bound and determined to teach me. They took me to try all kinds of Thai food and various kinds of “Thai dessert.” One weekend they took me to Ayuttaya Province where I got to experience the Thai train, Thai drama, ruined temples, and the sun. Luckily I didn’t get too burnt that day.

Zoe: Thailand was an experience, a very fulfilling experience. Being in Thailand two weeks earlier than the team really gave me a unique experience. A memory I will never forget is the joy I felt teaching, being in the classroom and being able to bless others with something that we take for granted was very heart-filling. I also loved building relationships with the students outside of class. I loved how my students were so eager to listen and interact with me. The hearts of Thai people are truly genuine and I am so grateful to have been able to receive that.

Sei: As I am striving to become a Social Studies teacher, this was the most fulfilling part of this whole internship. I never felt more at home when I stood in front of my students, but at the same time I was being stretched within my own comfort zone. I was an English teacher when my focus is mainly social studies and it felt strange having to teach English when I had very few experiences in doing so. It was also the only time that I could talk about the Gospel without forcing myself to do so. It felt natural and I felt comfortable sharing in front of the people. The Thai people are some of the most beautiful and joyful people I have ever encountered in my life. I am thankful for such experiences I’ve had both at the school and in my cell groups for church.

Jordan:  I would sum up my experience in Thailand by saying that it was exciting, fun, at times challenging, but also encouraging.  Over the month, I learned about patience, the power of God’s love on those who have only heard it for the first time, and experienced the beauty of hospitality and respect.  In addition, I learned the value of respect emulated by the Thai people for their king, who recently passed away.  It was amazing to see the people’s reverence and respect.  It reminds and encourages me to love, honor and worship the One who is King of kings.

Josh:  During our time in Thailand we encountered some of the nicest people in the world.  During my time there I realized that these people show a love to strangers that would make Jesus proud.  However, some/most of the country is so far from understanding God.  It’s something that truly opens your eyes and heart to the country and makes you want to help.
A favorite memory is when a student tried to say the word ‘squeaky.”  It came out as ‘skew-you-eek-ee.’  We laughed and tried the word again.








No comments:

Post a Comment